June 14, 2011

Recipe: Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler


Its time to pick rhubarb and make some tasty dishes with its bright red stalks.  I came across this recipe for Rhubarb cobbler on allrecipes.com.  It turned out quite delicious for my first go at baking a rhubarb dessert.  I also added strawberries to my version.  I thought it was extra sweet this way. 

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup orange juice (I used pineapple mango juice)
  • 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
  • (I added 1 cup sliced strawberries )
  •  
  • DUMPLINGS:
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • TOPPING:
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions 

In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water and orange juice. Cook and stir until thickened and clear. Add rhubarb and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Pour into a 2-qt. baking dish. For dumplings, combine flours, oats, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and oil; add to flour mixture, stirring lightly until blended. Spoon over rhubarb. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over dumplings. Bake at 425 degrees F for 40 minutes. 

 

Result

 I had enough rhubarb to make 2 1/2 full sized cobblers so I made extra for the Schmidts crew and for another friend. Everyone that tried it has loved it so far (unless they were just afraid to hurt my feelings)!  I thought it was the perfect dessert to start off the summer.  The only part of the recipe I would change would be to make a second batch of the dumplings for the top.  I feel like most recipes skimp on the crust or the shell, in this case it was the dumplings, so I would have made more to fill in the top a little better.  I also would add some ice cream or whip cream to compliment the dish.  I would definitely recommend making this dessert if you have any rhubarb on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...